Saturday, April 8, 2017

Indian Motorcycles Demo Truck

So, when I was searching for info on the Indian Demo Truck, there wasn't much info out there.  There were a few YouTube videos about some of the demo ride routes, but no other real information as to How. It. Works. which is what I like to KNOW in advance :)  So, just thought I'd blog about the day!



We got up there about 20 minutes before the event began.  Let me preface this by saying ... it was COLD this morning; low 40's.  The dealership was wide open, and the motorcycles were all up by the truck.  Such a cool and impressive setup, I LOVE it!


Everyone was very nice.  They directed us to the table in the back where we were able to go through the sign up/sign in process.  We got a few freebies as well!  Signed us up on the iPad, entered our info, clicked "Accept", and we were given cards with our electronic info that at the next event, all we have to do is scan them.  Requirements for the demo ride are a class "M" license, age 18 or over, long pants, closed toe shoe, and I believe a long sleeved shirt as well.  They had some helmets you could borrow if you needed to.  The words were, "You're responsible for yourself, we're responsible for the bikes".  There was no charge/fees of any sort, and there was no test to complete on your level of experience, lol.  They do NOT ask you for your insurance information!  I feel like there's a great bit of mis-information out there from people that are ASSuming, and haven't actually participated.
This one was set up for "extended reach", so I couldn't ride her :(



This morning, it was just me, David, one other guy, and the leader/sweeper.  Since I have zero road riding experience, I wanted to follow David AND be at the back of the line.  I was so nervous/excited/nervous, but David assured me I was ready.  He said the state of TN had declared me knowledgeable enough and competent enough to have my "M", so I was certainly capable.

As we headed out, I power walked through the turn which was guided by cones, and thank goodness there was a gentleman holding our lane for us.  The dealership is off a BUSY main hwy in Knoxville.  Then it was on the road!  David was right; I was 148% fine.  Going in a straight line on the hwy is the easy part.  Making the turns are intuitive and simple, especially with 22 years of experience driving cars.  I was worried I would have tunnel vision and not be able to focus on everything around me, but I found myself exhilarated but relaxed.  I remembered everything I had been taught about friction zone, looking ahead, looking up, and braking smoothly with both front and back.  I'd like to think I rocked it :D


David rode the Chieftan first, and he absolutely fell in love.  He didn't care as much for the Springfield as compared to the Vulcan; he actually liked his Vulcan better.  The Chieftan, however, he said he'd switch to.


The route took us 20 minutes in the morning and made a few right hand turns with a short trek up the Interstate.  By the afternoon, that route was taking 30 minutes due to all the traffic :(  SO glad I had the time early on to "warm up".  The Scout is an AMAZING bike for a novice.  I'm short, and I feel so comfortable holding her up at stops.  2 weeks ago, I just took her for slow parking lot maneuvers.  Today, I opened her up on the road.  VERY easy clutch pull, easy throttle engagement, smooth braking.  I was not on an ABS bike.  I love how I can feel when I'm down in first gear.  It helps that the readout on the bike also lets you know what gear you're in :)  However, once you pull the clutch in you just have to count, lol!  I definitely like windshield vs. no windshield.  I rode both the smaller engine Scout Sixty and the bigger engine Scout.  No discernible difference in handling; in fact, I preferred the Sixty because it had the windshield.  Going 80 mph on the interstate without one is NOT my cup of tea.  I did feel some movement from the wind on the interstate; I don't think I would enjoy a long, straight highway ride on the Scout.  The smaller backroads/curves are more where I will enjoy her.



I WILL own one, it's only a question of "when"?  David really enjoyed getting to ride several other models; he even tried one with apes!  Not his thing, lol.  We rode a total of 6 times.  By early afternoon, they were getting more crowded and the traffic around the dealership was becoming horrendous.  We headed out the long way home around Tellico Lake.  Gorgeous day!  Thanks to IMOK for the great time!  We look forward to doing the demo truck every time it rolls into anywhere CLOSE to town, haha! :D

The GORGEOUS new Chieftan Limited; it's already sold!














1 comment:

  1. Oh! This is so great to read! Good for you!! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete