Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Housewives



Anyone watch that show "Real Housewives"?  I admit it ... it's my guilty pleasure:)  The ONLY season I don't (and have never) watch is Atlanta, ironically.  I'm a bit intrigued by Yolanda Foster.  Out of all the crazy wives and all the opulent seasons, she seems like a pretty amazing lady.  I struggle sometimes with balance; I think we all do.  I am a wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, friend, teacher, mentor ... and that's not even including the in-law part of who I am.  I get bitten by the "selfish" bug once in awhile, and then wonder why my husband and I get snippy with each other.  Yolanda is married to music tycoon David Foster.  She is a bit of an old fashioned house wife in the TRUE sense of house wife definition.  She concentrates on making her home fit for a king, and revolves her schedule around her husband.  She puts him first, and caters to his needs before her own.  Onscreen, they're the perfect couple and madly in love.

Today, I feel bad about the way I inadvertently treated my husband.  He called me around 10:15am and asked "How's it going?"  A completely innocent question.  I irritably and snippily said "Fine", and in my BEST irritated voice asked why he was calling.  Really, Jen?  You have to be that way?  I hate talking on the phone while I'm cleaning stalls because it's hard to do both at the same time.  I'm always done at the same time every day; 11:00.  I expect my husband to know and respect that, and to wait to call me until he knows I'm finished unless he NEEDS something.  What a bitch I am.  I don't necessarily believe I should be revolving my life 100% around my husband, but I DO think I need to think less about me and more about him.  It was ridiculous the way I felt and acted today; he didn't want anything in particular ... just to find out if maybe I could eat lunch with him and Kody.  Ever since we found church a few years ago, he's made an honest to goodness positive change in regards to ME.  He's more considerate, he's more patient, and he thinks about my needs often.

I think in order for ANY relationship to grow and flourish, not just marriage, both parties have to come together 50%.  If I'm being honest, I think our relationship is more me putting in 40% and him putting in 60.  It's time for me to control my inner bitch and to cater to the man in my life a little more so that 20 years from now, we're still married and in love.  Something to think about:)

No comments:

Post a Comment