Saturday, June 3, 2017

2,623

Scenic overlook before you get good and going on the Dragon's Tail

That's how many miles Khaleesi has on her.  And 2,520 of those are all mine!  Did 260 miles today.  We have been VERY blessed to have averaged one good day a month logging mileage of 200+ since we got the Vulcan in February.


Deal's Gap for breakfast

During that time, I have used quite a bit of the "tips" I've read from my facebook motorcycle boards.  Seems like every other day, someone asks, "What tips can you give a beginner rider?"  And every other day, pretty much the same advice is offered over and over!  I decided I'd give it a try.

Hot Springs, NC for lunch
1. Look where you're going.  This should seem like a no brainer, but what it translates to is look up the road approximately 7-8 car lengths.  Apparently, there are people that constantly drop their bikes every time they stop or try to turn, and it's because they're looking literally at the ground in front of the tire.  The ONLY time I look at the road in front of my tire is if I'm trying to find the balk line at a stop sign or light.

Adding memories
2.  Downshift as you slow down/stop.  This has saved my bacon several times!  I don't like to look or feel like a fool on the road, and if you slow down to 20 mph but you're still in 5th gear, you look like a dumba$$!  If I'm coming to a light that's red, I usually pull in my clutch, use front and rear brake together, and downshift according to my mph.  40 4th, 30 3rd, etc.  Makes for a smooth takeoff every time!

Finally got my photo op!
3.  The whole looking thing ... if you're making a hair pin turn, literally TURN your head and keep searching out 7 or 8 car lengths ahead.  This is what I do on a horse, and after 30 years of riding, it comes as natural as breathing.  On the bike, it's really easy for me to do that too, but it's a challenge to really LIFT your eyes and head and not look into either on coming cars, or ditches.

Gatlinburg overlook
4.  Through tight turns, counter steer.  I equate counter steering to using your outside rein through a turn to maintain your line.  Once you've started the curve, "step out" with your body and slightly weight the outside handle bar and you'll maintain your trajectory.
3rd traverse on the Dragon's Tail, and no parts in the Tree of Shame!
5.  ATGATT.  All the gear, all the time.  I know a few close family members that like to ride in T-shirts and half helmets during the summer.  Doesn't bother ME at all, but they always come home sunburned/windburned!  We literally rode today from 7:30 am to 7:30 pm and not a DROP of either on any of the 3 of us!  I alternate either my mesh jacket or a light weight clima cool 1/4 zip pull over.  When you're driving down the road, you feel even cooler than in a tank top because the blazing sun is kept off your skin.  Yes, the full face helmet gets a little hot, but it's worth it to me!

Damn, can she get any sexier??
6.  For a tight turn from a stop, I turn my handlebars before I put power to the rear wheel.  Was unsure about this technique, but watched a video from a gentleman called MC rider, and I decided to try it.  I have never crossed the center line making my turns!

The Rattler is a pretty awesome little jaunt
7.  Remember to drag your rear brake and give a little more throttle when you're making slow, 1st gear maneuvers.  My Scout's power band is a little more powerful than the H-D Street, so I tend to pull my clutch in and forget about the throttle.  The throttle and the rear brake is what keeps you steady.  You have to find your friction zone by hitting that sweet spot of letting the clutch out before power fully engages to the rear wheel.  I was in the friction zone at a stop light b/c it had turned and I didn't want to fully stop, and I was weaving all over the place b/c it felt unsteady.  Once I applied the rear brake, the bike stabilized and all was good!

This whole property is cool as heck!
8.  Be hyper vigilant about your entry for a curve.  Left side for a right curve, right side for a left.  It is AMAZING how much more control you have over your line and trajectory when you approach correctly, ESPECIALLY if you come in just a little too hot.

Not sure why he was wearing his helmet, lol!
9.  Don't let your bike get away from your on a curvy road!  Slow, Look, Press, and Roll works EVERY time.  If you're looking your 7-8 car lengths, you'll see the tighter curves coming up.  If you need to downshift, do it on the approach.  Let off the throttle, and if you HAVE to brake, do it BEFORE the start of the curve.  Set yourself up opposite the direction of the curve, lift your chin and look up and through the curve, press that handgrip in the direction of travel, keep you core in the middle of the bike, and roll on the throttle smoothly through, and out of the curve.  Stay focused and ride your ride.

Slayed!
10.  Look at the cars in front of the cars in front of you.  Look at the wheels of the cars sitting and waiting to pull out.  Ride like you assume they're going to pull out.  David and I got into this habit of watching motorcycle crashes on youtube, and I swear that half of them could have been AVOIDED if the cyclist had approached the situation ASSUMING that there was someone trying to pull out in front of them.  Instead, I saw bikes approaching intersections and heavy traffic full throttle and just DARING a car to come around, and come around they did!  Right into the motorcycle!  A little easing off the throttle never hurt anyone!

Hot Springs, NC.  Apparently it's a "home town" of the AT
11.  Sometimes riding a motorcycle is like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time!  Using the right hand to pull in the front brake while using your left had to pull in and release the clutch to downshift at the same time can be interesting!  Keeping your brain focused on what you're doing is crucial.  That way you don't end up slamming on your brakes, and starting a curve while the clutch is still being held in!  Or grabbing the clutch instead of the brake.  Oops, lol.
A Rattler Road pic
12.  Have fun and don't be a doo doo head.  I read this long, contentious thread on the Indian motorcycles board about how some people don't wave to H-D riders, or some don't wave to Spyders, and NONE of them wave to Slingshots.  Look people, we got the "biker wave" from a BICYCLIST and a dude in a POS car on the Foothills Pkwy yesterday.  Acknowledge the respect, and respect them back! I've gotten pretty decent at being deep in a curve and being able to lift my hand off the bars and wave.  TN is a motorcycle state, and plus, you never know who you're going to encounter!

Love this angle!
13.  I've hit gravel SEVERAL times now, and have always followed the advice of minimize the angle/lean of the bike, don't make any sudden moves, and don't use front brake.  Haven't had an issue yet.  I don't LIKE it, because I CAN feel the loss of traction, but by taking it easy and following the above, I've done just fine :)

Helmet hair, don't care!
14.  Take EVERY opportunity you can to be together!  The teenager is getting older and doesn't go with us every time, but we're SO thankful to have the 2nd bike so now he has the passenger seat ANY time he wants it.  It's truly a great time having him spending time without his phone and without him sleeping in the back seat.  I'm so glad that David and I have finally found an activity that we can both enjoy TOGETHER on the weekends.  He pushes me and supports me and teaches me every day.  Can't wait for our next bigger mileage ride!!

No comments:

Post a Comment