Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Semi-serious stuff ...

All I see is perfection.


So, my son broke my hear a little bit this week.  He just turned 11, and is in that awkward phase where he's growing *out, but not so much *up.  I do NOT let him go crazy on junk food, but the kid also doesn't help me out by eating healthy, either.  My husband is a big soda guy, and I'm talking full sugar soda, nothing diet.  There also has to be a gallon of sweet tea in the fridge at all times, or I have to listen to a whole lot of {whining} about how there's nothing to drink in the house (tongue in cheek here;)).  Even though *I* have made a lifestyle change, my husband and son have not.  They haven't had a desire to, and I will not force anything on them.

So, my son said to me today that he wants to start Couch to 5K.  He's not a terribly athletic boy, even though in his mind, he's a parcour expert.  Yes, an expert.  Never mind he can't do any gymnastics.  Whatever, I don't care.  I was not a thin child growing up, and my mother ALWAYS supported me when I expressed a desire to thin down, and NEVER bugged me about my eating habits.  About the only thing she ragged me on was my desire to drink full sugar sodas ... hmmm ...

Anyway, the boy said some kids had made fun of him in school about his "big, fat belly" and he wanted to lose it, so Cto5K is what he wants to do.  I told him I'd take him to the park today and do it with him.  He sweated, he groaned about it, he complained about his aching back, but he did it.  I've talked to him and the husband about the soda intake, and I think maybe we've decided to scrap it out of the fridge for awhile.  The tea will stay, and 100% juice stuff will stay, but sodas are OUT.  I'm trying to teach Kody about proper serving sizes, showed him how to work the food scale, and explained he's not going to lose his "root beer belly" in a day.  Sigh.  Kids can be so mean.  He's NOT a fat kid, by any means.  Is he thin and athletic?  No.  Is he 200 lbs and obese?  No.  He's smart, sensitive, and FULL of presence.  I think the other kids sense that he's something special, and seek to SQUASH that.  He says every day how much he wishes he could be home schooled.  I wish I could.  I think the kids here in Cartersville and so mean.  He got called gay, and a fag last year.  In FOURTH GRADE.  Really?  My son barely grasps what gay IS, but he DOES grasp when kids call him fat, and now he's feeling bad about himself.

Wish us luck.  I'm going to help him reach his goals.  I think my husband is also coming around to a healthier lifestyle, so maybe I can begin to eliminate some of the junk that puts "bellie's" on us in the first place.  I know getting teased is part of growing up; I was certainly called a fat cow more than once, but it breaks my heart that my son's going through this already.  If I could home school him, I absolutely would.  I just wish kids were nicer ... mean streaks suck:(

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! It's awful how mean kids can be at such a young age. He has so much going for him he doesn't need to worry about all that mess. And as a side bar even the 100% fruit juice can have a ton of sugar in it so you might want to check that. We recently got told by the dentist for the little girl that she needs to cut out juices to one a day.

    ReplyDelete