Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The masks we wear



The me most of you see most of the time!  Not ashamed.


The fist mask; actual foundation!  I almost never wear foundation!



The final layer; hair and accessories.  Time to be a go getter!




I've been thinking about masks.  About personas.  When I was teaching, my boss and I joked that we were "Queen of the first lesson".  What that meant, is when a person was coming for that 'trial', we knew it.  And unless some horrible unforseen circumstances came along to throw a wrench in the plans, we could charm in a new client probably ... 95% of the time.  Now, that's not to say we were conning people.  I was good at my job, no doubt.  But like every single working person in the entire world, some days I operate on less than 100%.  But if need be, I could put on my happy face and put everything else that was going on, away.

Looking for a job has been emotionally draining for me.  Stressful, of course.  But even to pick up a RETAIL position, which I'm sorry ... retail is a brainless job ... you have to take these "personality" tests.  And I just don't think I GET what they're after.  I am a quiet person, I like to be alone, and unless I'm selling a "first lesson", I feel like an awkward social giant.  But these personality tests make it so you can't be yourself; you have to sell this cut throat/go getter/I'm better than all my peers personality to be considered for RETAIL.  It's crazy!

I'm going to be honest ... Sunday, out of sheer desperation, I fasted for 32 hours.  It was hard, I was *this* close to passing out while washing my hair.  I prayed harder than I've prayed for some time.  And I began to read the Bible for the first time.  What is it about my inability to find a job?  Why can't I even get hired by a GROCERY STORE?  Are there really that many people in Natomas that are job hunting?  Are my skills as a talented riding instructor so inadequate for anything that I'm incapable of filing paperwork in alphabetical order?  I've put in so many resumes in so many different positions, I've lost count.  When you have to have the conversation about what to do in case nothing comes along ... it's defeating.

I took a few pictures this morning as I got ready for a job interview; no makeup, makeup, then hair and makeup.  For the people that know me in person, I'm a no makeup kind of girl 90% of the time, and that's who I am.  I'm ok with that!  I don't hide who I am, I'm real.  But as I put on the foundation this morning, it's like I was putting on another personality, one who doesn't take no for an answer.  One that's a go getter, LOVES to chat people up, and never worries whether her breath smells.  And after I fixed my hair, I thought about how to really sell myself, and what I needed to do to make it happen.  Because that's what I'm here to do; MAKE IT HAPPEN.  What is IT?  For me, IT is the ability to live where I want, vacation where I want, and have the things I want.  Last year, it was about achieving the body I want.  This year, it's about achieving the LIFE I want.

Make no mistake, I WILL make it happen.  I have renewed my faith in God, and things are finally beginning to move for me.  Tomorrow, I have THREE job interviews.  Wow.  It is super hard for me to go through my closet and find nice looking big girl clothes to wear, lol!  I've had 20 years to build my "barn" wardrobe, I don't have much of a selection of "business casual", but I'll throw something together.  I will find a job where I don't have to have my mask on; I have a feeling the right one is waiting on me at 2:00 tomorrow afternoon, all I have to do is sell that "first lesson", and then I can fall into the place where I'm meant to be.  I'm not ashamed to go out totally bare faced, not a drop of makeup on; that person is good enough to be employed.  I WILL persevere:)

5 comments:

  1. This may sound like a dumb suggestion and if you've done it go ahead and ignore me. You should definitely go into Manpower or Apple One temp agency and see if you can at least get some temp office jobs under your belt and most of those places have a great place-to-hire ratio. Also have you thought about working at a gym? You've had such great personal success with getting your fit life together that the story could work great selling memberships at like 24 hour fitness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look those agencies up; I applied to 2 others, and nothing. Most of what I've applied for I haven't heard anything about afterwards. I'm optimistic about tomorrow, like I said, I have THREE interviews, woo hoo! Hoping I will have to choose between 3 different jobs, guess we'll see:) What's killing me is I don't HAVE any office experience, but my sister has and it's well within my range of skills. I just have to sell myself hard enough, I guess. None of the gyms out here are hiring, sadly. But thanks for the suggestions! I'm open to pretty much anything right now.

      Delete
  2. Best of luck with the job interviews, shall keep absolutely everything crossed for you!
    I particularly loved this passage from above:
    "Last year, it was about achieving the body I want. This year, it's about achieving the LIFE I want. "

    I am a believer in faith & everything happens for a reason, even if at the time it sucks and we can't figure out how we are going to overcome something - i believe it will all work out in the end. Especially for someone like you who is a problem-fixer & a go-getter (even if not a cut-throat one and let's be real who wants to be that person?!), if you (general you) wants something bad enough you will work to get it and do everything in your power to achieve your goals - you are this type of person and will be rewarded for all your hard work when the moment is right.
    Hopefully as you say it is during your interviews today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I'm also like you and never wear war paint, I'm clueless when it comes to make-up and more often than not overwhelmed by all the options. I'm terribly indecisive (apparently this is a trait for people of a Libra starsign-age, lol) and when faced with too many option balk and leave without anything. This has more often than not saved my waistline when in a shop and looking at chocolate bars or sweets - when too much choice i just leave them all behind!

      Delete
  3. I don't known if here is the right forum to say this I am very glad for what Dr omobhude did for me i meant Dr omobhude through a friend he helped win a court case of  divorce few months ago and when i contacted him he help me to cast a death spell on my mother inlaw who was really troubling my life and future, she never wanted my progress, each time I get a job from a company, I get drove back  because of the witch craft mother inlaw I have, I never knew my mother inlaw was the one troubling me, until one day I contacted Dr omobhude for help and he told me Justine my mother inlaw is the one troubling me and he help me to cast  unto her a death spell.  I am happy because the evil doer is dead and ever since then my life have turn around for good things now work fine for me and am now a happy living beautiful with my family, thanks to Dr omobhude .  i recommend you to Dr omobhude if you have any kind of problem he will help you restore your marriage life back again.  contact him via WhatsApp +2349050360605 Or email him dr.omobhude1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete