Monday, July 16, 2012

Changing my way of thinking

I've been working on changing my whole way of thinking.  Today I had to stop by the grocery store after work.  Usually that would result in a buggy with chips, cookies, crackers, brownie mix, icecream, and maybe even a pecan pie.  Today I hurried through the aisles and managed to get a few things for dinner and sodas for the hubs (I've managed to stay off his full sugar sodas and make do with my diet Mt. Dew.  I haven't bought any DMD's though, in about 2 weeks now).  I bought myself some pre sliced watermelon, canteloupe, and pineapple to cut up myself for a fruit salad.  I found myself spending a LOT of time at the granola bar aisle, looking for low sugar stuff.  After reading a LOT of labels, turns out Kashi really is the lowest sugar brand, even though it beats the Nature's Valley bars by 10 additional calories.  It was a whole 10 grams of sugar LESS though, so I went with the Kashi bars:)

A similar study was had by me over at the yogurt aisle.  I compared a TON of brands, from normal light to greek, and a simple light yogurt, vanilla flavored and made by Dannon came in the lowest in grams of sugar, at 11g per serving.  Most of the other kinds (even the PLAIN!) came in at 16-18 grams of sugar, WOW!  I then got OUT of there, no fake sugar/high carb anything which is a record for me!

It's only been a week.  No dramatic changes yet, I feel.  My clothes are definitely fitting me comfortably right now, no tight waistbands to be had.  Certainly nothing is loose, but nothing is tight, either!  I've completed week one of Couch to 5K, and will continue this week with week 2 (exactly the same as week 1).  Hoping to run in the rain again one night!  Trying to add in some strength training this week.  I did crunches ONE day, but was hoping to run 3 days, then do crunches/push ups/squats the other 3 days, with one day completely OFF.

Anyone recommend an online calorie counter other than Fitday?  I'm rather less than impressed with their food list. Didn't even have "farm fresh brown eggs" in the database!  Silly.  I'm feeling very GOOD and not really finding it too terribly difficult to make good choices.  Just trying to keep my end goal in mind!  It would be AMAZING to slip into a single digit size again ...
My adorable son playing "Winthrop" in the Music Man

3 comments:

  1. I used to use SparkPeople when I needed to lose 20lbs. It had this weird competitive edge to it which was cool, and totally fit into my MO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I know I promo'd SparkPeople, but I decided to download Lose It to my phone and I love it, it has a barcode scanner which helps you not have to search forever for the foods you are eating.

    ReplyDelete